Wednesday, July 9, 2014

tokens of appreciation, part 3


Every now and then I have a friend who goes off on vacation for a very long time.  Like, a month.  Or two months.  If I'm lucky, I get their address.  Thus begins the creation of a super cool keepsake, a pick-me-up, a moment of bonding between chums.  COLLAGE CARDSSSSS!!!

My usual collage cards are not complex.  In the past, I've made thank-you notes that look like this:


Simply find an emotional photograph (ANYWHERE) and paste it stylishly to the front corner of your folded card stock.  Add "thank you so much" or "thanks a lot" or just "thanks."  Apply this same concept to other scenarios.


Before I got all fancy, I considered thanking my friend for her little card-from-far-away with my usual method.  Then, I got to thinking.


With a simple base, one could add ANYTHING to these green hills!  


And so, the birth of "What Zoe Thinks Vermont Looks Like."  This year, my friend is off to an intense 6-week dance camp in Vermont, which (lets be honest) sounds a little mysterious... a little whimsical.  Why Vermont?  Is it the land of dancers?  The land of rolling green hills, perhaps?  

So yeah.

Collage cards.


Tips:
1. Squirt tacky glue into a dish and paint it onto your scraps with a paintbrush.  It's way stickier than other glues.  
2. Allow paper to hang over the edge of your card as you apply it.  You can trim the edges when you're done. 
3. Take a photo of your potential collage before you glue everything down, so you have something to act as a reference when actually gluing.

No comments:

Post a Comment