Saturday, May 10, 2014

tokens of appreciation, part 2


A friend of mine has a soft spot for Disney fairy movies.  My usual response to her enthusiasm is, "eh, fairy movies are for babies, right?"  I'm actually not this cruel in person, but the whole tinker bell thing has remained a distant Disneyland memory.  I recall my five-year-old self, feeling woozy after many hours of draining sunlight, unicorn lollipops, and overwhelming simulation rides.  Tinker bell wings got me through it.  *EMOTION*

I agreed to see a fairy movie with her, though, because I was curious.  She gave me this card before viewing Walt Disney's Tinker Bell.  It reads,

Dear Zoe,

You are cordially invited to your very first fairy film gala.  May you have a magical evening!

Pleasantly, (my buddy)


I was super pumped to see the movie after reading her little note.  How charming!  Tinker Bell, it turns out, was as restorative as eating s'mores by an evening campfire.  Simple, but joyful to watch.  The animation was buttery and smooth and made me forget about stupid age restrictions.  Besides, behind every children's movie is a message worth receiving.  Those kids hafta get something out of it.   In Tinker Bell's case, it was that we should all accept ourselves for who we are, and use our OWN skills to bring good into the world, not other people's.

No comments:

Post a Comment