Friday, June 13, 2014

community moment: 5th grade graduation

One of my closest friends lives less than a block away, which might be why she's one of my closest friends.  Might this be a super awesome friend chicken-and-egg scenario?  Anyway, she's got these two younger twin sisters.  Er, two younger sisters who are twins.

These twins had a 5th grade graduation to attend.  Seeing as I've known them long enough to consider myself a distant cousin to them (or perhaps a weird aunt), I willingly hopped in the way-back of their family sedan to attend this graduation.

As a note, the top two images depict the twins as I first saw them, moments before leaving the house. The first (E) greeted me energetically at the door, as usual.  The second (C) appeared shyly from upstairs, a soft evening light glowing on her face in a pretty way.


The ride to WHAT WE THOUGHT WAS OUR OLD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (but ended up being An's high school) was very bubbly.  


Here, in the larger-than-our-elementary-school-gym auditorium, sat each fifth grade teacher along with a podium and some balloons.  Before we noticed this, we noticed the swarms of small pre-adolescents, decked out in glittery Target gowns and baggy tuxedos.  They occupied every inch of breathing space, vibrating like ions packed tightly together.  There was lots of nervous energy.

Some highlights: we spotted An's doppelganger, singing in the introductory choir.  They sang "Happy," by the way.






Around five kids then gave speeches on what they found to be the most exciting part of elementary school.  These speeches were well-organized... definitely proofread, but genuine.  C gave one, too!  Her's was the most unique: it was on how she met her best friend, a detailed account.

There was one particularly confident girl wearing only a baggy t-shirt and shorts.  She was fun to watch.











I'm glad to have gone.  I barely remember my own 5th grade graduation, but recall being a fantastically confident person.  I wore a boxy batik tank top and skirt that didn't match very well, but left the place with flair.  That flair would eventually die down, muffled by my lowering of self-esteem.  That's just what happens.  5th grade remains golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment